There’s no doubt that investment bankers are ultra-successful as their career seems to be extremely lucrative, rewarding, and interesting. Of course, the role is very demanding and high-pressure as well as nerve-wracking! The top firms are always looking for specific skill set and potential in candidates who apply there. Here’s a list of the most common skills that the firms normally look for in a candidate:
- Intellect is one of the major qualifications for investment banker. Having a strong intellect with a focus on mathematics, economics, analytics, and finances would take you a long way in your banking career. The investment banking career needs an intellectual curiosity which is helpful for understanding the essence of the role. The typical investment bankers have a desire to solve the most complex problems by creating dynamic solutions. One must possess the intellectual skills with a thorough knowledge in mathematics, finance, economics, or accounting. The ideal candidate should be adept in thinking critically about the deals, products, and opportunities in the realm of investment banking.
- The ideal investment banker must be disciplined as the environment of an investment bank firm is full of pressure. Because of this, one must perform consistently under intense demands. This can be learned while pursuing a demanding course like law or medical school, or any athletic coaching.
- The investment bankers need to have strong analytical skillset as they are often required to present the analysis of any business venture or plans to their prestigious clients. Analytical expertise would help in presenting the detailed plans along with facts and figures, when required.
- Having strong interpersonal skills is essential for an investment banker as they’re constantly persuading and convincing their highly demanding clients on a regular basis. To learn the art of persuasion one needs to have great communication and presentation skill set. Additionally, the ideal candidate should become adept in making great slideshows, documents, and spreadsheets.
- To work in the world of finance, one must possess entrepreneurial skills as this role includes M&A deals, funding new businesses, and company restructuring as well. The other requirements of this role is to be able to spot business opportunities in new areas and this can be possible with entrepreneurial skills.
- To become one of the successful bankers, you must have a strong network. Networking skills are extremely important for investment bankers as it helps them to deal with extreme situations, different cultures, and complicated clients. The ideal candidate should be adept in dealing unusual situations along with maintaining strong work relationships. Building strong relationships are essential for bankers as they climb their career ladder. The ideal bankers must possess the positive attitude along with a skill in developing important client relationships which is extremely important for this role.
- The world of finance is connected globally and it demands broad-mindedness to deal with differently cultured clients. Candidates who are able to communicate in more than one language are in high demand which is why it is a good idea to participate in study abroad programs to develop such skills.