The success and life of any wet room greatly depend on the waterproofing. So in this tutorial, I am going to share a step-by-step guide with you for wet room drainage to avoid any leakage of water.
- First of all, you have to make sure that walls of a wet room are of a proper structure, flat and smooth. You have to remove old tile adhesive or any other material like loose paint. Because we need a smooth base for the new tiles. If there are any holes or screws, fill the holes and remove screws.
- If you are using filler then ensure that you have dried it for enough time and followed the guidelines of manufacture. After drying the filler, sand filler flat before you go for priming your surfaces.
- To cover the whole area of the wet room, start applying the primer from the floor to the ceiling of the wet room. Ensure you are following methodological approach around the room for applying the primer.
- Wait for at least six hours so that primer will be dry.
- Now go for the second coat of primer on the walls of a wet room. Again ensure that you are covering the whole area of the wet room by applying the primer from bottom to the top of the wall.
- If there are any joints between materials, you can use a self-adhesive tape to seal those joints.
- For sealing around the drain, you can use self-adhesive membrane. For this, cut a hole according to the correct diameter of the drainage pipe and stick it down by using self-adhesive membrane
- To ensure that the tape is struck properly and without any air bubbles in the membrane and the floor, use the roller with the proper kit.
- You have to do the same process for any pipe of the wet room.
- Now you have to seal all the joints between the walls and the floor and make sure that the tape is properly pressed into the corners and joints of the room. Now all the joints are not only waterproof but now materials can move slightly without causing leakage and splitting of tanking.
- Again you to ensure that the tape is stuck properly by using the roller.
- Now it’s the turn of the floor. You have to apply the liquid rubber membrane on the floor. For even stokes, use a broad brush. Make sure you evenly coat the floor of the wall room.
- Wait until the first coat dries.
- Now apply membrane on the walls of the wet room.
- Apply liquid membrane twice and ensure its application at the right angles for the even coverage of the whole area. After each coat of membrane on the walls and the floor, wait for six hours so that paint will be dry.
- Now allow the walls and the floor to be dry completely. After this go for the tiling.
By following these tips, you can waterproof your wet room for a long period.