Global Talent Visa which came into effect on 20 February 2020 replaced Tier 1 Exceptional Visa. Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa which was quite popular for its highly flexible permission, enhanced further by Global Talent Visa. Under the current system, the Global Talent Visa is a UK immigration category that is primarily designed for promising individuals to enrich the UK’s knowledge and economy. The individuals, under Global Talent Visa, must work in a qualifying field or run a business in the field of expertise. The applicant must be endorsed either as a recognized leader (exceptional talent) or as an emerging leader (exceptional promise) by the organization relevant to the qualifying field, also known as the UK Endorsement body.
The endorsing bodies are:
- The Royal Society (for Science and Medicine),
- The Royal Academy of Engineering,
- The British Academy (for humanities),
- Tech Nation (for digital technology),
- Arts Council England (for arts and culture), and
- UK Research and Innovation (for research applicants).
The Difference between Global Talent Visa & Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa
- Global Talent Visa is an initiative to attract global leaders and leaders of tomorrow to incorporate cutting-edge expertise, creativity, and innovation to maintain the UK’s position of prominence in the global economy. The concept of Global Talent streamlined and expanded the existing rules of the predecessor i.e. Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa.
- Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa was under the PBS Category of Visas whereas Global Talent Visa does not follow the Point Based System (PBS).
- Under the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa, there was a restricted number of designated competent bodies that were being assigned under the UK Immigration Rules. However, the Global Talent Visa renamed these bodies as endorsing bodies that perform the same function in addition to UKRI i.e. UK Research and Innovation.
The differences between Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa and Global Talent Visa have paved the way for the best tech talent to obtain the UK’s most flexible visa.
According to Global Talent Visa guidance, the applicant must fall under the Global Talent Exceptional Talent Visa or Global Talent Exceptional Promise of UK Research and Innovation Endorsed Funder Option. The applicant must be endorsed either as a leader (exceptional talent) or as an emerging leader (exceptional promise), or under the UK Research and Innovation endorsed funder option. The applications will be assessed by endorsing bodies relevant to the qualifying field
The applicant has to undergo two stages to the applications:
Stage 1: Endorsement Application
The first stage involves submitting an application to obtain endorsement from the relevant endorsing bodies. The application is made to the Home Office, however, the endorsing body is the actual decision-maker. These endorsing bodies will meticulously assess whether to issue an endorsement. The endorsement decision is directly sent to the Home Office.
Stage 2: Immigration Application
This stage involves the assessment of the Immigration aspects by the Home Office and whether general grounds for refusal apply.
Benefits of Global Talent Visa
- Global Talent Visa offers the highest level of flexibility to change the roles without notifying the Home office. The applicant can easily enter self-employment and can also earn additional income from the other sources. The source may or may not be related to the field of research in which the applicant was initially endorsed.
- There is no minimum salary threshold to apply for a Global Talent Visa.
- The applicant can seek Indefinite Leave to Remain after staying in the country for 3 years in the UK.
- Dependents can be included in the online application or extend or switch to a Global Talent Visa.
Processing time for the Global Talent Visa
The processing time of Global Talent Visa can vary between 4 to 8 weeks.
Global Talent Visa Fees
An applicant needs to pay Global Talent Visa Fees separately for the two stages which include £456 to get an endorsement from the respective endorsing bodies when applied for the first time. An applicant must pay £152 for the second stage of the Immigration Application. The second stage also calls for paying healthcare surcharge as a considerable part of the application process.
Why A Y & J?
A Y & J is an internationally recognized UK immigration law firm with a wide range of expertise in all immigration matters. Our qualified and multi-lingual team of immigration solicitors keep a close eye on the constantly changing immigration policies. Still unsure about a Global Talent Visa? Look no further than A Y & J Solicitors which is a multi-award winning firm with a decade of experience, recommended by Legal 500 based in Central London. Our qualified immigration solicitors are specialists in personal and business immigration routes.
At A Y & J Solicitors, we are always ready to offer creative solutions in order to meet your personal or business objectives while complying with the UK immigration rules and policies. For further information about our immigration service, please email us at email@example.com or Whatsapp us on +44 7448 5656 70.