Rice is a rich source of complex carbohydrates and contains many nutrients. Of late, it has gained a bad name in weight-management diets. But its health benefits cannot be ignored.
Here are a few details about health benefits of rice:
- It is a good source of energy. The complex carbohydrates in rice take a long time for breaking down.
- Diabetics can consume rice because it contains less starch than other types of food.
- Basmati rice is rich in Iron, an essential mineral for the body.
- Rice helps the body to fight diseases.
- Brown rice which is rich in fibre prevents cancer especially colon cancer.
- Low sodium content in rice helps control high blood pressure.
- Rice contains all eight essential amino acids.
- Folic acid content in rice reduces risk of cardio-vascular disease.
- Rice is one among the rare food items lacking preservatives.
- Its starch content is not digested but goes down into the bowel. This encourages growth of healthy bacteria and normal bowel movement.
- It lacks gluten which is ideal for gluten-free diets.
Thus, rice has many health benefits. It also has a soft, chewy texture and unique flavour that makes it adaptable to many recipes. Here is a great Asian recipe including rice.
Recipe of Biryani
- Basmati rice, washed – 1 and a half cups
- Water-1 litre
- Yogurt-6 tbsp.
- Rough cut scallions- 1 cup
- Rough cut tomatoes- 1 cup
- Chicken thighs-3
- Garlic powder-1 tbsp.
- Butter/ ghee-2 tbsp.
- Salt- 1tsp or to taste
- Small size carrot-1
- Turmeric powder- 1/8 tsp
- For topping, a few fried scallions
Spices and herbs:
- Whole cumin-1/4 tsp
- Black peppercorns- ½ tsp
- Broken pieces of cinnamon- 1 inch
- Cardamom seeds-6
- Lemon, medium size with skin removed-1
- Cloves -1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf -1
- Mix all the spices and herbs.
- Heat Ghee/ butter in a non-stick saucepan
- Stir fry herbs and spices- till you get a fragrant aroma
- Add the sliced scallions and sauté till golden brown
- Add tomatoes and cook till they are wilted
- Throw in the chicken thighs (optional at this stage)
- Add yogurt, garlic powder and salt.
- Cook with cover till chicken assumes a colour change
- Add 1 litre of water. Bring to boil.
- Add the rice. After it is cooked (70%), sprinkle turmeric powder, grated carrot and fried scallions.
- Cover with lid and cook till water is absorbed. Add more water if rice is not cooked.
- Biryani chicken may be fried, grilled or baked or just cooked with rice.
- Empty biryani into a wide biryani dish. Place chicken on rice. Garnish with fried scallions.
- Serve hot.
Basmati rice isa special type of rice, grown in the foothills of the Himalayas in the Indian sub-continent. It is a long-grained rice with unique flavourand aroma. There are two types of best super premium basmati rice: White and Brown rice. Brown rice is whole grain rice with bran intact. White rice is polished or refined rice whose bran has been removed with only kernel intact.