The chilly weather apart from presenting an exquisite scenic beauty perfect for creating great memorabilia also brings with it teeth sensitivity and pain for many people. When the temperature outside drops those who have teeth that are sensitive to cold foods and drinks can start to feel uncomfortable.
It can be quite difficult to enjoy the outdoor socialising as well as activity when you feel pain. But if you keep yourself away in order to avoid going through teeth pain and sensitivity then the isolation can adversely affect both your mental health as well as your lifestyle.
But fortunately for you, there are some tips that you can adopt to keep dental problems at bay during the harsh winters.
- Practise Proper Oral Care – You can fix the cold tooth sensitivity fairly easily by stepping up the oral hygiene game. You should never skip flossing and try to brush your teeth with a brush having soft bristles, at least twice a day. If you are still experiencing sensitivity in the teeth you should opt for a desensitising toothpaste.
- Don’t Overbrush – Brushing too often can actually wear away the enamel and end up damaging the teeth. Therefore, this unnecessary activity can give rise to a number of tooth problems. So do not brush many-a-times every day and also use a soft toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste for brushing the teeth. To know more about teeth whitening visit here.
- Adjust the Diet – Your diet has a great impact on your oral health just like it affects the overall health. You can strengthen your defences during the cold winter by maintaining a healthy diet. You should choose fruits, veggies, lean beefs, whole grains, dry beans, low-fat or fat-free dairy products, skinless fish and poultry and peas. You must try to limit the snack numbers as they pose more threat to your teeth as compared to the regular meals. You should also avoid the sugary and acidic foods and drinks to take care of your oral and overall health.
- Breathe Through the Nose and Maintain the Water Intake – Breathing through the nose can protect the teeth by preventing the cold air from hitting them while inhaling through the mouth. So to prevent sensitive teeth you should make it a point to breathe through the nose. Staying hydrated during the winter is as important as the hot summers. To keep the teeth, body and brain healthy, experts suggest that you have at least 2 litres of water. This should make sure that teeth and the gums remain moist.
- Keep the Mouth Warm – When the day is windy, a scarf that is lightly wrapped around the mouth can make the air warm before it contacts the teeth surface. You should also cup your hand around your nose and mouth to create a zone that is warm from which you can inhale at each breath. You can also keep your mouth a bit warm by drinking hot liquids as the extreme temperatures can enhance the sensitivity of the teeth.
- Ensure to Take Ample Vitamin D on a Daily Basis – One of the things that you should be aware of during the winters is the decreased amount of vitamin D dosage because of the reduced outdoor time. You may already know that taking the regular dosage of vitamin D is crucial for the bone and teeth health and the sunlight assists in the production of vitamin D. Therefore, during the winters when you do not get optimum amount of sunlight exposure, you should consume products that are rich in vitamin D like fatty fish and fortified cereals.
- Visit the Expert – If you have not got your teeth examined in the recent times you should consider visiting the dentist at the best dental clinic in Delhi. Your teeth can be sensitive to the cold and chilly weather because they consist of enamel that is thin or is weakened or because the teeth are cracked. The other reasons for cold weather sensitivity are gum recession, grinding or clenching the teeth, gingivitis, infection and even brushing too hard.
The above are some of the steps that you should embrace in order to protect your teeth and reduce tooth pain and sensitivity during winter. Your smile is one of the most valuable assets that you have and protecting it is essential not only for aesthetic reasons but also because it has a great impact on the overall health and should be taken care of in the best way possible all year round.