At NETGEAR, we are constantly releasing new firmware to improve product performance and quality and to add new functions. These Netgear router firmware updates are available
As long as there is no announcement from NETGEAR, we strongly recommend that you always use the latest firmware. In addition, it is necessary to confirm the operation with the latest firmware beforehand even when you inquire to the support center, so please do periodic update check.
Whether firmware update exists or not can be confirmed by accessing the management screen of the wireless router. If there is an update, you can update the firmware as it is.
How to check / update the latest firmware:
Connect to the network of the target wireless router and access the management screen of the wireless router from the web browser. If it is correctly connected to the network, you can access the management screen at the following URL – routerlogin.net using any of your web browsers.
- If the wireless router is operating in the access point (AP) mode, please access directly by entering the IP address.
- Also, if a page that is not the management screen opens, it means that it is not connected to the wireless router’s network.
- If you can access the administration screen, you will be prompted to enter the user name and password for login.
- In the factory default setting, the user name is admin and the password is password.
- When the wireless router’s management screen (NETGEAR genie) is displayed, go to Advanced → Admin → Router upgrade. However, make sure that your Netgear router login must have been properly done.
- Click the confirmation button. This will check the NETGEAR server for the latest firmware.
- If the latest firmware is published, a confirmation will be displayed asking whether to perform the update work. Please select “Yes” if there is no problem.
- If an error is displayed during confirmation, check the status of the Internet LED on the main unit and check whether the Internet connection is normal.
Wondering how to reinstall the firmware on a router without having the setup CD recovery tool?
Worry not, now we will assist you with firmware recovery in case of firmware failure, without using the firmware recovery tool.
Note: These Netgear router troubleshooting steps below show how to reload firmware onto a NETGEAR router that won’t boot due to corrupt firmware.
For executing the instructions given below assume a basic level of networking competence. Read through the instructions below. If you don’t understand them, don’t attempt this without contacting Netgear router support. The Netgear assistance team is especially helpful for the newer NETGEAR routers that do not come with a setup CD.
Quick and Easy Steps To reinstall the firmware:
- First of all download the most recent firmware for the router, from http://support.netgear.com. It might download as a .zip file, containing the firmware. Once download you have to unzip it.
- Maybe for these downloads, you might require to connect to the web by interfacing the PC specifically to the modem using an Ethernet cable, or you may need to utilize another router or another web association.
- Thereafter, connect the computer to the router and then appoint a static IP of the router’s default range using the Netgear router default login on the LAN association.
- Now if you ping the router’s IP you should be getting results now.
- Once that is done, run the tftp2.exe file that was downloaded earlier.
- Go to the server field, type in the default IP of the router.
- And on the Password field, enter the default secret phrase of the switch.
- Thereafter, turn the router off for next 10 seconds.
- Once the procedure is finished, the power light will turn relentless green.