Cakes are one of the best kinds of desserts that everyone loves to have. They are also very versatile, so they can be used in a variety of occasions to celebrate. Eating a cake is so much easier that baking one, and for that,we all thank all those bakers, who bake the yummiest cakes for us to indulge in. But what if we want to bake a cake ourselves?
We will probably make a mess in the whole kitchen and then turn up a soggy undercooked cake or a burnt one. But don’t lose heart, everyone learns from their mistakes. You can easily buy the best cake in Jaipur and eat it, but eating a cake, which has been baked by you, gives you so much more satisfaction.
The first thing that you will need to know is the difference between the different types of cakes. Here is the list of some of the major types of cakes to help you better.
These types of cakes are also called butter cakes, as they are made with all kinds of fats, which include butter, vegetable shortening, lard, etc.
- Layer cakes– most of the birthday cakes, carrot cakes, red velvet cakes, etc fall in this category of shortened cakes. Layer cakes can be prepared by the creaming method, the cream and whip method or the one bowl method.
- Pound cake– pound cakes are known for their amount of butter in them. They are pretty buttery as the key ingredients are added in equal amount in this type of cake. As there is a high content of fat or butter in it, pound cakes have a dense texture, sturdy shape and tight crumb.
Sponge and foam cakes
These cakes are much softer and fluffier than the other cakes, as the eggs are beaten to put air in them and then the batter is folded on it. Genoise, angel cakes, jelly rolls, etc. are good examples of cakes that fall in this category.
- Only egg whites– these cakes are made with only egg whites. This makes the cake very light and also low in fat. The cakes rise a lot because of the beaten egg whites used while making them.
- Egg white and yolk– as the name suggests, these cakes are made with both the egg whites and the yolks. This makes the cakes very rich yet quite light. These cakes containing both the yolk and the egg white are also very flexible and springy.
- Egg and oil– these cakes are king of boundary crossers and are similar to both the above mentioned cakes except for the fact that it has extra oil added in it.
Unbaked cakes are those types of cakes which do not require any baking. No bake cheesecakes, icebox cakes and ice cream cakes are great examples of unbaked cakes. The ingredients used in these cakes might not match with the normal cake ingredients, but these are considered as cakes more because of their presentation rather than their ingredients.
Other cakes like yeast cakes, flour less cakes are also quite popular forms of cakes.