Search engine optimization is a very important marketing strategy. It brings more visibility and improves traffic volume to your website. The process also helps you establish a good brand and guide authority.
When SEO was first introduced into the market, search engines were young. Marketers could get away with lackluster content with irrelevant keywords. There were many articles without proper grammar, misleading information, and hundreds of keywords.
Search engines have evolved considerably since then, which has had a big impact on SEO. Now, you need to use the latest and best strategies to stay ahead of the game. This article provides 10 SEO tips that will get you great returns in 2019.
- Do a Complete Audit of Your Website
An SEO audit shows you what is working and what isn’t working. You can use the data collected to refine the campaign and get much better results. Most marketers will conduct an audit once every few months, but it is wise to consider doing it more frequently.
Recent changes in Google algorithms and Machine Learning have altered the SEO landscape. Google has confirmed that the algorithm changes in small ways every day. The company also says there are bigger changes done around 500 to 600 times a year. That will have an impact on SEO.
Regular audits allow you to keep a track on how these changes affect your website. Keep track of key performance indicators like:
- Organic sessions
- Keyword ranking increase or decrease
- Bounce rate
- Pages visited in a session
- Session duration
- Page load time
- Exit pages
You should also keep track of crawl errors where Google bots can’t reach certain sections of your website. They’re available in the Google Search Console.
- Plan Website Navigation Carefully
Google places a lot of importance on website structure and ease of navigation. If you make navigation easy and straightforward, you’ll earn points with the search engines. This requires a little bit of planning because it is easy to ignore proper structure in a website. Here are a few points to consider:
- Reduce the number of steps a user has to take for conversions. For example, if you want people to subscribe to your blog, limit the amount of information you need for subscription as much as you can.
- Place the links to your most important pages at the top of the website above the fold. This gives users immediate access to your most relevant content.
- Use high-performing keywords in your most important links. Google prioritizes these links and will take note of the keywords. That can have a positive impact on your website ranking.
- Add breadcrumbs that showcase the website structure clearly. This makes navigation clearer and allows users to move back to different pages in the structure easily.
A good structure will help Google crawl your website and improve the user experience. User experience is one of the most important factors in marketing.
- Tap Into Local SEO
If you have a local presence or company address, don’t hesitate to take full advantage of it. Local SEO is different than general SEO that is directed towards a broader audience. This strategy includes location-specific keywords, MAP listings, and targeted content.
The goal of local SEO is to be featured in the Local 3-Pack. This result box is located at the top of the Search Engine Results Pages, which means it is highly visible. The campaign can bring in a large amount of converting traffic to your website.
The most important aspect of this strategy is to optimize your Map listing. Make sure your company name, address, and phone number are accurate before you claim the business.
- Optimize Your Images
Speed is everything. Modern search engine users aren’t going to wait for 10 to 15 seconds for your website to load. Most expect a platform to load in around 2 to 3 seconds and will leave if it takes longer.
A great way to improve your website load time is to optimize all images, especially on the homepage. There are two ways to reduce the file size of images and they are:
- Compressing an image to ensure the physical file size is less than half of the original size. This doesn’t compromise the quality of the visible size of the image.
- Scaling an image down from large pixel to a smaller pixel. This will reduce the size and does influence the quality to some extent.
Light-weight image files have a direct impact on user experience, which is why it is a good idea to optimize your files immediately.
- Interlink Pages
Most marketers and businesses are familiar with linking. The focus is usually on backlinking and gaining good links from high-authority websites. But it is also important to include a few internal links on your website.
Make sure internal linking is reasonable. Don’t connect an article about SEO with an article about pizza recipes unless there’s some relevance there. It is also a good idea to use high-performance keywords in links as they’re visible to Google.
- Make Sharing Content Easy
Google hasn’t confirmed whether social signals have an impact on website rankings, but experienced marketers have noticed a link. Sharing brings in more traffic, draws more backlinks, and can help improve reputation. All of these factors can influence SEO rankings.
Include buttons that allow people to easily share your posts, products, services, and other content on social media.
- Customize your 404 Page
Websites aren’t perfect and sometimes users can see 404 errors during their browsing session. This disrupts the user experience and can irritate visitors. A great way to resolve this problem is to include a custom-designed 404 page with a clear CTA.
You can include interesting contents and links or even offer a discount code. That will help reduce the bounce rate and keep visitors on your site for a longer period of time.
- Friendly For All Platforms
Marketers are focused on the mobile platform because Google had made it clear it prefers mobile. While the mobile experience is important, you need to look beyond it.
Users now search through mobile, desktop, tablets, and even smart TVs. If your website is optimized to all of these devices, it will offer a much better user experience. That will lead to more conversions and better ranking.
- Have a Set Content Strategy
Content is and will always be king. You need to have a sound content marketing strategy in 2019 to remain visible. The competition is even more fierce so getting visibility is a big challenge. Your strategy should focus on creating:
- Link worthy content that will draw attention from good websites.
- Content with current and up-to-date information.
- Articles with proper grammar and sentence structure.
- Careful keywords for intent-based search
- Long-form content with an average of 1,600 words.
A good content strategy is very influential. It has a positive impact on everything from revenue to branding.
- Have a Good Backlink Strategy
Backlinks for well-known websites can help improve your rankings. You gain Google’s trust and additional traffic from another organic source. Here are some tips that can help with that:
- Don’t buy or farm backlinks.
- Approach as many websites as you can.
- Create link-worthy articles.
- Approach websites who have linked to your competitors.
- Seek out people who have mentioned your brand without linking.
- Ask your friends and associates in the same field to link you.
A well-planned and executed SEO strategy can boost traffic and take your website to the top of the search engine results pages. You just need to make sure you use white hat SEO techniques to maintain a good reputation and ensure your website isn’t penalized by Google.
Shiva Kushwaha is a Jr. Content Writer working for Ranking By SEO. He has written on different digital marketing topics including, SEO, Link Building, Content marketing and so on…